Tuesday, January 15, 2008

First Post - Role Playing

Welcome to my virgin post. Be gentle and promise to respect me in the morning.
"Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels." - Faith Whittlesey

I admire women for a many reasons. One of those reasons is for the variety of roles they play in the lives of others and their ability to slip in and out of those roles with apparent ease. We men play roles as well, but not as many and the lines between those roles are much more blurred.

I've watched Piper be a dutiful daughter, reliable sister, competent professional and a girlfriend all in the space of mere hours. I can be a dutiful son, brother and boyfriend but I'm always the same Steve in each role. Advice I dispense to my father is the same advice, delivered the same way, that I give to my sisters or brothers or girlfriend. Piper, and most women I think, bring certain qualities and sensibilities to the particular roles they are called to perform. In a sense, they tailor their interaction in a way men do not. The recipient of their attention feels special.

Woman are not just supportive---they support. I won't speak for most men but I've come to realize that my support consists mostly of not standing in the way of something. On the other hand, Piper actively supports me. For example, she'll rearrange her schedule to be at important events or run an errand for me if I'm stuck at work. I'll do those things as well but I usually have to be asked.

As my appreciation for these qualities in one woman has grown I've observed many of the same qualities in other women.

These are amazing qualities and, I imagine, burdensome at times. Burdensome it may be but much appreciated by me and many men. My New Years resolution is to show the women in my life - girlfriend, mother, sister - my appreciation more often and in a more meaningful way.

By the way, Piper did something the other night, backwards and in high heels, but we won't talk about that now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the community Steve. Well, the posting side anyways.

And a very good post as well. You are quite right.