Wednesday, April 23, 2008

New Acquaintances

On Friday night our Circle of Friends had their first get together. Nothing physical happened. It was just a cocktail party hosted by Kit. Steve and I went, as did the usual suspects that I've written about for years.

Kit introduced us to three new people that may or may not be invited to future parties, two men and a woman. All of them were friends of friends.

The first man, who I'll call Tom, was in his forties. I did not like him! It's cliche to say that first impressions are important but it's cliche for a reason. Tom was handsome in a distinguished, middle-aged man way. He had Cassius' lean, hungry look. He was unable to mask his motivation.

Look, I'm not an idiot. People are interested in this type of thing to get laid and to experience something out of the mainstream of sexual life. Still, Kit's party was something of an audition: a get-to-know-you event. If you can't invest time in a two or three hour cocktail party, what could you have to offer in bed?

Aaron, a friend of Jason's was different. He's in his mid-twenties, good-looking but not a guy that would inspire midnight diary entries. Aaron got it! He was polite without being too formal, friendly without being too forward. He spoke and listened, but didn't try and dominate the conversation. I liked him, even if it's only as a friend of a friend.

And, later, Jason told me that Aaron liked me as well. That was not something I picked-up on. I'm usually pretty good at getting the signals. Aaron divided his time fairly equally amongst the women. Actually, I believe he spent the least amount of time speaking with me.

Steve liked Aaron as well and mentioned him on the drive back. Steve wanted to know of there was "anything there." I merely smiled and said, "maybe."

Steve did not like Tom. Steve's always said that entry into a group like ours, especially for a man is like getting the keys to the kingdom. His theory is that if a man isn't smart enough to not screw that up, he doesn't deserve any consideration.

I also noticed something else. Pre-engagement, Steve may have suggested meeting again with someone like Aaron. Post-engagement, he seems more...territorial? Not too territorial, mind you. Which is something I like. I think he'd deny that.

I'll discuss that in more detail in another post.

2 comments:

saratoga said...

Hey Piper!

Great post. It's fun and fascinating to read about your intuition regarding new guys being vetted for entry into your group.

I think Steve is entirely correct. Any guy wired to want into your group, yet not smart enough to comport himself agreeably and amicably, deserves no further consideration.

It's definitely, as Steve said, a 'keys to the kingdom' sort of thing.

Also interesting is the evolving dynamic between you and Steve, regarding someone like Aaron.

-saratoga

nina said...

Piper,

I'm fascinated by this -- that dynamic of 'getting to know you' -- but I suppose it makes perfect sense, right?

I mean -- the decision of whether or not to have sex with someone is actually quite involved. We may be sluts, but we're not pigs! lol!

Tho I would imagine that for a guy, acceptance into such a group really would be seen as getting the keys to the kingdom. Well put I think.

Your writing and expressions on these topics is something which I find compelling and I always look forward to reading more of your thoughts and experiences.

Tho I think it's cute how Steve is feeling those invisible hands of possession wrapping around his mind! Mmmm, now you and I can talk about that whole colonization thing... haha!

That ring changes everything, kwim?

(just teasing)

nina