Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands

A reader wrote us with a request. Now, on rare occasions we receive an e-mail that bristles with demands: Write about this! Write about that! Personally, I find that rude. This particular e-mail was very respectful. The writer wanted a glimpse at the intimacy of marriage.

I thought about that for sometime. Our marriage is not yet six months old. I hope I can write a similar post when we are going on six years, not six months.

I am very happy with all aspects of our marriage, except for the laundry. Do men suddenly forget how to use a washer after they're married or did they not use one when single? Anyway, aside for one or two minor complaints, I'm more in love with Steve today than I was six months ago. I especially love the intimacy we share. I've found that I not only love him, which I find to be a simple, raw emotion, I 'like' him. Isn't 'like' much more complex than love.

By 'like', I mean that I want to spend my time with him. I want him around. I want to see him everyday, go to sleep next to him, wake up next to him. One of my greatest fears was the idea that your life's greatest passion may not be your life's greatest love.

He brings his work home with him. Not physically, but mentally. Steve is now fairly high-up in a corporate position. Not a good place to be right now. That's my one major complaint and it's not really a complaint. It's hard to complain when your main is hard-working and dedicated to his job. I wish, for his sake, he could leave office crap at the office.

Of course, I do my best to relieve his stress. I let him go into his 'cave' when he gets home. I have found that if you don't interrogate your man about his day when he first walks through the door, they will open up in their own time. They just need some downtime. An impromptu hand job also helps.

Maybe this will be a first in a series, "The Proper Care and Feeding of a Husband." I'd love to hear from some women who've been at this marriage thing longer than me.

Now, I'm off to enjoy what promises to be a beautiful Spring day. Have a terrific weekend.

5 comments:

Chickpea said...

My grandma would always tell me that you had to fall in like with someone before you could fall in love. I totally get it now.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, whether it's about sex or about love, or about anything else.

I look forward to further stories in the series.

vsk witness said...

We observe the 20 minute rule: leave me the fuck alone for twenty minutes before asking about my day. Caveat: carpooling can be a great place to share the shit beforing returning to the castle. I understand my wife only wants to make things better, but I lack the ability to change contexts as quick as she. You females have secret little switches in your witchy minds, don't you?

Nightmare said...

Can Steve give me a job? I just quit one and Since he is high up the Corporate ladder I could send him the ol resume and cover letter!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to hear from some women who've been at this marriage thing longer than me. (wrong pronoun... see below)

I'd love to hear from some women who've been at this marriage thing longer than I (have).