Thursday, March 6, 2008

PREFERENCES

The other night, Steve and I played this little game. He'd toss out two names, places, styles etc. and without much deliberation, I voiced my preference. I did the same for him. It was fun.

An example: Steve said, "Baseball or Football?" I chose baseball, of course.

It got me thinking about the preferences we have for some thing over the other. In many instances you may like both "things." I do enjoy watching football. It's a worthy game. I just prefer baseball. What I found interesting was going with a choice without any real deliberation. Why do you make a visceral choice for one thing over the other? And I don't mean choices that automatically define you to some extent. For instance, if someone chooses to be a Democrat or Republican, that choice gives us a certain amount of information about that person. But, what does it tell us if someone prefers Liszt over Chopin?

Well, for fun, here are some I made. My picks are first. I wonder what it says about me, or anyone for that matter.

Baseball - Football
Ocean air - Mountain Air
Cats - Dogs
Scooby Doo - Jetsons
East Coast - West Coast
Fitzgerald - Hemingway
Fall - Spring
Beethoven - Mozart
Chocolate - Vanilla
Thin Red Line - Saving Private Ryan
Jeans - Skirts
Homicide - NYPD Blue
Funny - Handsome
Rome - Paris
Bacall - Hepburn
Moonlight - Sunlight
Coltrane - Davis
Lobster - Steak
Clooney - Pitt
Wine - Beer
The Godfather - Goodfellas
Tea - Coffee
Comedy - Horror
Romance - Comedy
Beckinsale - Johansson
Vidal - Mailer
Ellington - Basie
Buffy - Angel

Anyway, we thought it was fun.

In honor of what will be four years blogging, here's a pic of what I wore the other night, for our date with Kit & Luke. I know.... lame entry.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had the great fortune of seeing both Mailer and Vidal speak, and I have to say, Mailer was more fun. He was introduced by a woman leggy enough to be a Vargas girl, and when Mailer hit the mike he said, "Thank you for that lovely introduction. I will refrain from paying you two very obvious compliments."

Sexy Duet said...

Were either of you surprised by an answer the other gave, in that you thought they would answer one way but went with the other option? Good game to find out more things about each other that might not ever come up in general conversation.

Congratulations on your bloggerversary!

Ms SD

Anonymous said...

except for the ones i have no opinion of because i haven't seen the movie or whatever?

we agree on every one except wine-beer and tea-coffee

:)

and i'm proposing this game to my boyfriend

fisher said...

Also, how perfect is it that "Ellington - Basie" immediately precedes "Buffy - Angel?"
I prefer Mingus and Firefly, myself.

Erotic Union said...

Great answers. We love the picture. You have made HER very happy. You look great!