Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Adventures in Babysitting

What a weekend. I hope everyone had a wonderful time. The weather here was on & off Saturday but Sunday was gorgeous.

On Saturday, two minors were left in my charge: a niece and nephew to be exact. The former is 4 the latter 6. Their parents attended a wedding and asked if I would watch the children. I eagerly accepted. Steve, quite suddenly, remembered he had a prior commitment.

I so adore children. It's not just the wide-eyed innocence and fascination with things we have seen a hundred times, although that's a major part of the adoration. It's just a wild roller-coaster ride. You never know what they'll say, ask or do. Chaos is so undervalued. No matter how crazy things get, chocolate always refocuses their attention. If only the adults in our lives were so uncomplicated.

What to do, what to do. I decided we'd head to town. First stop, the Aquarium. I had not been in ages and I may have had as good a time as they did. After that, s bite to eat and then the Children's Museum. Finally, back to the house for movies. We ordered pizza and ate. Then it was into their PJ's. I think they watched about twenty minutes of the movie before passing out.

A truly grand time. After that, I fixed myself a cup of tea and caught-up on some reading. I was relieved of my duties at midnight.

If I can have a day like that with my own children in the near future, it will be a dream come true. I realize every day won't be like that but I have a feeling it's the special days you remember, long after the cranky, crying days are forgotten.

Sunday...well Sunday had a more adult tone but that's not for this post.

Oh, before I forget. I received an e-mail from a blog that "showcases" sex blogs. I usually ignore these things but since they added Babylon Visited without a demand for reciprocation I thought I would check it out. It seems legit. So, if you're searching for some more reads, check out Love Boudoir (which should really be said in a rich, rolling, baritone voice).

4 comments:

nina said...

If I can have a day like that with my own children in the near future, it will be a dream come true.

Yes, those days are there -- but there's many more when the words "GO TO YOUR ROOM" will echo in your head long after the sun goes down! lmao!

It's soooo different when they're your own little rotten brats! (and their friends, and cousins, and playdates... ugh) haha!

nina

vsk witness said...

"Chaos is so undervalued."

Well said. Mine are almost out of the house. Now they are not so much my kids as just two lousy roommates who live with us. And prevent us from walking around naked.

saratoga said...

Piper-

Honestly, I don't think there's much of a comparison. The context of raising your own children makes different types of moments special.

And each age is the 'best' one, until they get to the next one.

Until teenage....... oy!

*hugs*

-saratoga

nina said...

@vsk witness

Well said. Mine are almost out of the house. Now they are not so much my kids as just two lousy roommates who live with us. And prevent us from walking around naked.

I am sooo with you on that one! haha!

My son (an early teen) is a complete moment killer -- tho certainly NOT his fault... this is the price you pay for motherhood. But, we've worked out "arrangements" with the other parents, so some weekends I get a houseful of boys, and other weekends they do.

This single simple thing has truly made such a difference, and on weekends where my son sleeps out at his friend's house -- yeah, we DO walk around naked! :P

(sorry for hijacking your comments Piper - I just had to chime in!)

nina