Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Breaking the News

My experience was quite different than Piper's when breaking the news to Chase. I do harbor guilt about suggesting and then pushing Piper into the relationship with Chris. She's told me numerous times that she's a big girl and makes her own decisions. Still, the guilt persists. I also feel for Chris. I can imagine the proverbial shoe being on my foot and I know how I would feel.

Chase reacted quite differently. That's not surprising because we have never been as emotionally attached as Piper and Chris. We've been dating for a long time now and we are emotionally attached, just not at the same level. We've also always had a wall that has prevented us from becoming too involved in each others lives. Chase built that wall and I'm glad she did. It was a smart move. I've always had a terrible habit of throwing caution to the wind. That's good at the start but it also means things get complicated later on.

Chase has another boyfriend. I've met him. He's a decent guy. Chase's other relationship isn't like my relationship with Piper. There's no sense that their on the way to the alter. Not yet. Chase still built the protective barrier.

Chase was very excited and happy for me when I told her the news. She knows Piper and likes her very much. Chase asked questions about the wedding plans. Questions I couldn't answer but she did show genuine interest.

Then, we had sex. Really mind-blowing sex. She thought it was a huge turn-on to be with an engaged guy. I also think it's safe for her. I'm taken and that route for her and I, no matter how unlikely, is now closed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most guys are lucky if they can find one woman who cares for them, understands them and puts up with all their annoying guy ways. How exactly did you manage to find two???

Count yourself among the lucky and never take either of them for granted.

Chickpea said...

It IS safer for her because now she knows you're not going to develop any emotion towards her - she knows you're committed for sure to Piper.